Oswestry School has a reputation for drama productions of the very highest quality.
Drama overall makes a significant contribution to the co-curricular life of the School as a vehicle for expressive learning.
Whilst at school, pupils are able to learn about themselves and their environment, practice social behaviour and organise their thoughts into language.
Through drama, pupils are able to explore their imagination through participation and teamwork, laying the foundations of these necessary life skills. Dramatic plays allow younger pupils to extend group work, whilst middle year groups are able to portray real life situations or fictional ideas which have been read about through plays and showcases.
Senior School drama develops pupils to a much more advanced level. They explore various genres, study differing playwrights and practioners to make them well rounded and capable actors. Our pupils are able to get involved in competitions, House plays, musicals and more technical theatre too.
Oswestry School offers a wonderful range of opportunities in Drama and The Arts. These include:
- Annual drama productions for Bellan and the Senior School
- The annual Senior School Play or musical.
- House Shows
- Small, dynamic and carefully selected KS4 cohort to study LAMDA grade 6 - 8 in Acting.
- Monologue and Duologue, and public speaking competitions and numerous other smaller performance opportunities
- Drama clubs.
- Smaller plays for selected year groups
- Visiting drama productions
- Theatre trips to a range of productions
- Lighting and Sound training.
- A biennial Drama Tour
- The opportunity to study for a LAMDA speech and drama qualification
Under the guidance of the Senior and Bellan House's Head of Drama, enthusiastic pupils may also learn to be responsible for all technical aspects of drama, including sound, lighting, make-up, and wardrobe. There are also many opportunities for pupils to direct productions.